Sunday 13 May 2007

Grease Is The Word Review

I couldn't help it, I had to tune in to see how Grease Is The Word compared to Any Dream Will Do. As I've commented on before, I didn't like the audition shows, but the live programme has proved to be much more entertaining.

We're into the third week of the eliminations and have already seen two couples' hopes shattered. This week, only 6 couples remained to battle it out for the dream of playing Danny and Sandy in the West End.

Danny R and Lauren received a fair amount of criticism from the judges, and while I do worry about Danny's speech problem, I thought Sinitta was really harsh on him when she said "I'd slap myself hard were you to open in the West End".

Michael and Vicky are my least favourites. I haven't seen anything from them that would make me want to pay £70 or £80 a ticket for, but for some reason the voting public liked them and they made it safely through to next week.

Bradley and Michelle on the other hand, did not deserve to be in the bottom two, although I have a problem with this pairing. Bradley lets Michelle down in terms of vocal ability and stage presence and Michelle could find herself going home soon in spite of her own talent.

Last week, Susan and Danny B blew me away but Anthony and Alison changed my mind with their fantastic interpretation of Tonight's The Night. These two couples are going to be very close contenders for the final!

Sadly the voters at home did not keep Wayne and Hayley out of the bottom two, and the judges had a really hard time deciding whether to keep them or send Michelle and Bradley on their way. I loved Wayne and Hayley's performances in the first two weeks and it really is a shame to see them leave so soon.

It was David Ian's turn to pick the style for this week's show and his challenge of "musicals" looked promising. However, I was disappointed to see the genre of musical theatre used so loosely in the choice of the songs.

No comments: