Friday 20 April 2007

Heading for broken ankles in dance classes, ballroom shoes to blame!

Last night's class was not good. We're wearing silver ballroom shoes - well latin sandals really - for our big finale. This is all well and good, but having grown up mainly in cuban heels my balance doesn't take too kindly to 3" slim heels, thin straps and open toes!

It seemed like a good idea at the time, and they are gorgeous. Silver, with diamante straps, they go really well with our beautiful pink showgirl costumes. The reality of dancing in them is a bit different though, especially the turns and the high kicks.

Practicing with jazz shoes on was fine, but if I'm ever going to feel confident in the ballroom shoes I need to wear them. Easier said than done!

Now ballet is not my main style, as my classes are based around modern, jazz, tap & stage. I have spent some time learning about ballet; positions, turns, posture, turn out and most of the basics as it is a great reference for other dance styles. Today, I reckon its time for some revision in the balance section!

Ballet Stuff

No comments: